What can you do to encourage your child to build their narrative skills?
- Ask open-ended questions that encourage conversations and have no right/wrong answer
- Talk about the order things happened during the day (first, then, last)
- Use a wordless book that your child can use to tell you a story
- After reading a book, mix up everything! Ask your child for help retelling the story
- Make story predictions together – what do you think it going to happen?
- Narrate your day as you spend time with your child (We’re going to the park and then to grandma’s house)
- Make up a new ending
- Help your child use their words: name objects, feelings, and events for them to help build their vocabulary
Adapted from: see Narrative Skills https://www.clel.org/about3