Shapes are all around us, so helping your child to learn them doesn’t have to be an add on to your day. Here are some tips to bring attention to shape recognition through play:
- Play with puzzles featuring shapes
- Trace and color in shapes (DIY: you can make cut shapes into cardboard to make stencils)
- Practice making shapes with items around the house
You can use cotton swabs, popsicle sticks, crayons, etc.
- Use shape sorters (DIY: homemade shape sorter)
- Cut shapes into Playdoh
- Talk about the shape all around you
Throughout the day, point out objects that look like rectangles, circles, triangles, etc.
- Introduce a few shapes at time so your child doesn’t get confused
Adapted from: https://www.teachinglittles.com/teaching-shapes-to-toddlers-13-fun-ideas-to-get-started/