There are so many fun ways to learn when you’re outdoors. Here are some literacy activities you can do in your neighborhood:
- Paint alphabet rocks
- Paint a letter on each rock until you have a whole rock collection of the alphabet!
- Did you know there are groups of people across Alaska who paint and hide rocks for others to find? See if there is one in your area on Facebook.
- Alphabet Hunt
- Version 1: Look for things outdoors that start with letters of the alphabet
- Version 2: Look for shapes that look like letters / create letters out of natural materials
- Go on a Listening Walk
- As you walk outside, listen and talk about the sounds you hear
- Measuring Nature
- Sink or Float: using a container of water outside, see which natural objects sink or float (rocks, twigs, feathers, etc.)
Adapted from 44 Preschool Outdoor Learning Ideas: https://teaching2and3yearolds.com/44-preschool-outdoor-learning-ideas/