Chair: Krissy Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 907-305-0985
Our Story: The Wrangell Early Childhood Coalition exists to connect young families and children in the community to the services and resources available for their support. Additionally, the coalition has been working the past few years to fill the gaps in early learning for children entering kindergarten. In 2012, we successfully ensured that every child in Wrangell entering kindergarten had access to quality early learning experiences. Another priority for the Wrangell Early Childhood Coalition is to increase the quality of early learning opportunities and to support the continued professional development of the early childhood work force.
Children’s Fair – Krissy Smith, Deidre Jensen and senior project students
Mentoring – Krissy Smith (AEYC-SEA)
Lending Library – Evergreen Elementary School
Welcome Bags – Hannah’s Place
Advocacy & Publicity – Marilyn Mork and Krissy Smith
Literacy – Irene Ingle Public Library
Parent Cafes – Hannah’s Place
Financial Partners – Krissy Smith
Phone calls and setting up meetings – Kelly Buness
Wrangell Public Schools
Alaska Island Community Services
Irene Ingle Public Library
City & Borough of Wrangell
Healthy Wrangell Coalition
REACH Infant Learning
Wrangell Public Health Department
All licensed childcare programs
Wrangell Head Start
Wrangell Parks & Recreation
Catholic Community Services
- Established a program to ensure that all children entering kindergarten have access to an early learning program. Read more »
- Developed first annual children’s developmental fair providing hearing, vision, and developmental referrals for children needing additional screenings.
- Organized dozens of events for parents and young children during the Week of the Young Child in 2012.
- 90% of Wrangell’s children under five years old are enrolled in Imagination Library.
- Onsite mentoring, monthly training, stipends, and supplies for early childhood providers to improve safety, accessibility, and quality of care, with financial support committed by the Borough of Wrangell.
- Conducting monthly newspaper and radio interviews to educate the community on the importance of early learning.
To get involved: contact Krissy Smith, 907-305-0985 or email@example.com.