Our Story: Homer Early Childhood Coalition is a coalition of local agencies and individuals who support early childhood education. Each year we do various surveys within our community and outlying areas to determine early childhood education needs and raise awareness. Future goals include doing an economic impact survey showing how early education positively impacts our local economy and working with businesses to improve family-friendly business practices.
Language & Literacy – Ann Dixon, Homer Public Library Director
Parent Engagement & Education – Jenny Fonkert, parent
Community Support – Margarete Wisner, Children’s Program at The Center
Playspaces – Kate Crowley, parent
Business & Economic Impact – Hanna Young, Homer Head Start
South Peninsula Haven House
Homer Public Library
MAPP of Southern Kenai Peninsula
Community Recreation Program
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District
Nature Rocks Homer
Homer Head Start
- Free training and presentations provided to parents, community members, and child care professionals. Read more »
- Free child care provided at most events.
- In partnership with the City of Homer/Parks & Rec Dept., increased safety and use of local playgroups and play spaces.
- More than 20 events held during the Week of the Young Child each year in April. Read more »
- Financial support provided to local child care programs to improve safety and educational services.
- Provided volunteers and financial support to HoPP for rebuild of Hornaday Park.
- Conduct regular community surveys to help determine early childhood education needs in the greater Homer area.
To get involved: contact Lisa Asselin M., HECCcoordinator@gmail.com or 907-399-1567.