Take a look at these tips from Alaska Strengthening Families:
- Parental Resilience
- Social Connections
- Knowledge of Parental & Child Development
- Concrete Support in Times of Need
- Social & Emotional Competence of Children
Here are some quick reads for parents from Parenting Counts:
- Attachment (English & Spanish) – The foundation for a child’s expectation that those they love and depend on will support and help them when needed.
- Stress (English & Spanish) – Childhood is full of stress and parents need to understand it.
- Discipline (English & Spanish) – Teaching children to behave in ways that support the values of their family, society, and culture.
- Parenting Styles (English & Spanish) – The way parents react and respond to their child’s emotions.
Kids & Media
- The Fred Rogers Company – Building on Fred’s legacy in innovative ways through a wide variety of media, while engaging new generations of children and families with his timeless wisdom.
- PBS Parents – Strategies for raising children in a digital age, age-by-age tips on how your child can get the most out of media and technology.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children – Guidance on applying the principles of development and learning when considering if, how, and when to use technology and new media with young children.
- Screen Sense: Setting the Record Straight: Research-Based Guidelines for Screen Use for Children Under 3 Years Old
- 5 Things to Know About Screen time Right Now – #5 screen time limits may have nothing to do with a young child’s ability to thrive.
- The Joan Ganz Cooney Center – Advancing children’s learning in a digital age.
Preparing for Kindergarten
- Alaska Department of Education & Early Development – Information to help parents enroll their child in kindergarten in Alaska.
- ARISE Kindergarten Preparedness – Suggestions for parent-child activities for all families provided regularly through Facebook and on their website; activities are based on goals of the Alaska Developmental Profile.
- Count Down to Kindergarten – Ensure a seamless transition with Scholastic’s parent-tested resources.