Two of the best ways to grow your child’s vocabulary is to talk and read together. While these sound like no brainers, there are easy ways to expand these.
- Children learn by hearing a word over and over
- Introduce new words
- Rephrase words to add new words with similar meanings
- Ask open-ended questions that require more words from your child
- Read more about these tips to build your child’s vocabulary.
- Point out new word in books as you come across them – stop to explain
- Ask your child about the books you read together
- Label things in your house, so your child can make the connection between words and objects
- Follow your child’s interest when choosing books
- Read on for more ideas!