Teaching your child to recognize their name is a great way to introduce the letters of the alphabet. As you spell their name out loud or write it down, tell your child the name of each letter. Here are some fun tips to keep your child’s name front and center:
- Write their name with magnetic letters on the refrigerator. When your child seems to know the order of the letters, scramble them and see if they can put them in the right order. If you have enough letters, spell the names of other family members.
- Write your child’s name on a poster and hang it in their room. If you have a crafty kid, have them help decorate it!
- Talk with your child about the shape of their letter: Does it look like a triangle? is it straight? Curved?
- Explore their letter: Trace it with your fingers and make the sound of the letter together
- Go on a letter scavenger hunt: When you’re outdoors, see if you and your child can find their letter around you – look for it in print or see if you can find it being made in nature