Rural Alaska is a playground for children who are discovering and learning every day. Read with your baby and join this whirlwind tour through Alaska’s seasons in a four-book series created by Alaska Native authors and photographers.
Published by Best Beginnings
Are you interested in becoming a retailer? Send us an email for wholesale information.
About this Project
This project was created to fill a gap in Alaska children’s literature by providing a heart-warming glimpse into modern, rural Alaska life through the eyes of a child. Written by first-time children’s authors, each story was inspired by a collection of seasonal photography from Alaska Native photographers, curated by editor Tricia Brown. This collaboration is the first of its kind in Alaska to feature all Alaska Native authors and photographers coming together to produce a series of baby board books.
Taylor Booth, Jacqueline Cleveland, Greg Lincoln, Cheryl Kriska, Ian Merculieff, Esther Pederson, Carol Maillelle.
Check out these wonderful caregiver guides, developed and provided by the Clare Swan Early Learning Center curriculum team, and designed to help enrich your reading experience. Filled with new vocabulary and tips for reading Seasons of Alaska with your child, small group, or classroom, these are an invaluable resource.
- Button Up! Caregiver Literacy Guide
- Mittens and Mukluks Caregiver Literacy Guide
- Bye-Bye Ice Caregiver Literacy Guide
- Let’s Play Out Caregiver Literacy Guide
Accolades for Seasons of Alaska
- Dr. Debbie Reese just highly recommended the Seasons of Alaska series on her American Indians in Children’s Literature blog, adding it to the AICL’s Best Books of 2020 list.
- Indian Country Today featured our authors and their books on their nationwide Thanksgiving Day broadcast.
- The Alaska Center for the Book recognized Best Beginnings as a co-recipient, along with Sealaska Heritage Institute (SHI), of the Sue Sherif Literacy Award for excellence in early childhood literacy. “Both SHI’s Baby Raven Readsseries and Best Beginnings’ Seasons of Alaska series highlight indigenous themes and Alaska Native authors, illustrators, and photographers, with the goals of encouraging young children to become readers, allowing Alaska Native children to see their cultures depicted accurately, and improving cross-cultural understanding.”
- Native America Calling named Seasons of Alaska its December 2020 Book of the Month.
- Jackie Purcell of Alaska’s News Source shared Seasons of Alaska in her End the Year with Cheer segment.