BOOK TITLE: The Snowy Day
AUTHOR: Ezra Jack Keats
SUMMARY OF BOOK:Peter has lots of adventures in the snow on a winter’s day. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Talk with your child about the cover of the book. Predict what this story is going to be about.
- Talk about how the world looks with snow, what snow feels like, and what kind of clothes you have to wear in the winter.
- Ask your child what he/she likes to do in the snow.
Talk about each of the things that Peter does in the snow. Imagine that your child is Peter and add more details:
- How would the snow feel when it lands on your head?
- How does a mountain climber climb?
- Talk about all the different games you can play outside. Talk about how these games change according to the weather.
- You may use pictures of different kinds of weather to help the discussion − a windy day, a rainy day, a hot and sunny day. Brainstorm with your child all the different kinds of things you can do outside on these days. Remember, in the book the boy used simple things like a stick.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.