BOOK TITLE: Roar of a Snore
AUTHOR: Marsha Diane Arnold
ILLUSTRATOR: Pierre Pratt
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A little boy wakes up in the night and hears a giant snore. Soon the whole family and pets – after waking up and stopping their own nighttime sounds – are searching the barn for the source of the noise. In the field, they finally find the very surprising source. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Did a noise ever wake you up when you were sleeping?
- Did you get your parents to find out what the noise might be?
- Were you ever scared because you didn’t know what was making the noise? What did you think it was?
- Who would you go to next if you were the little boy? (Ask as you read along.)
- Who or what do you think is making the noise? (Ask again as you move through the book.)
- Ask: “Do you think the noise will stop this time?” each time they wake up someone else.
- What animals are in the barn? What sounds do they make when they’re awake?
- When they find the kitten, what do you think they’ll do with it?
- What would you do if you woke up in the middle of the night and heard a strange noise and didn’t know what it was?
- What was your favorite animal in the book? Your favorite sound?
- What would you do with a lost kitten?
- What do you think Molly Olsen should do at the end?
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage