BOOK TITLE: Wanted: The Perfect Pet
AUTHOR: Fiona Roberton
SUMMARY OF BOOK: This book tells the story of a boy name Henry. What Henry wants most in the world is a pet dog. Henry soon learns the true meaning of friendship when a very unusual pet shows up at his front door. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Look at the front cover and talk about the title: “What do you think this story is about?”
- Now look at the back cover. Does that picture change what you think the book might be about?
- Let your child hold the book as you go through it only looking at the pictures. What does your child think is going to happen in the story?
- After each page, talk with your child about the illustrations.
- Point out each word in bold and reread them. Have your child read them, too, and describe what they mean.
- What other things about dogs would make them the Perfect Pet?”
- “Have you ever worn a disguise, a costume?”
- When Henry meets the duck, ask “What are the differences between a dog and a duck?”
- Ask your child to share her favorite part of the story. Share yours, too. Why?
- Ask your child to think of strange pets people might have. What might make them the Perfect Pet? What skills would they have? Do you know anyone with a strange pet?
- If your child were going to advertise for a Perfect Pet, what would she put in the ad?”
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage