BOOK TITLE: A Mud Pie for Mother
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A little pig is trying to find something to give his mother for her birthday. He sets out on the farm to find her a gift, but has some trouble. He asks the other animals for things that they have, but they all want to keep their things. So, therefore, the pig doesn’t take them. In the end of the story, the animals on the farm give the pig items in return for being so nice. They give him eggs, bread, milk, etc. Then, the pig takes the items and makes his mother breakfast for her birthday. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Look at the book cover. Talk about the cute little pig.
- Tell your child the title and author of the book.
- Look through the book together and talk about each animal, what it looks like, and the sounds each animal makes.
As you read the book talk with the child about the story and the illustrations. Ask questions such as:
- Can you find the ______ in the book? (Fill in the blank with an animal from the book.)
- What sound does the _______ make?
- Is the chicken big or small? (Point to both the little chicken and the big chicken.)
- What did the pig give his mom?
- Play with a toy farm/figures.
- Make a birthday card for a family member of friend.
- Give your child a basket and let him/her collect toys to put in the basket. Once the basket is full, sit down with your child and talk about each item. This is a great game that little ones like to play over and over again!
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
This activity created by students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.