BOOK TITLE: My Lucky Day
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Mr. Fox is just getting ready to go on the hunt for dinner when he hears a knock at his door. It is his lucky day! A little pig has come looking for Rabbit. Mr. Fox finds himself in the middle of a sneaky plan. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Have you ever had what you thought was a lucky day? Tell me about it.
- What are some of your favorite meals for dinner?
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Tell me about a time when you got yourself into a bit of trouble.
Talk with the child about the story and the illustrations. Ask questions such as these to promote discussion:
- What is Mr. Fox going to do with the little piglet?
- Why does he want to give piglet a nice bath?
- Why does Mr. Fox give piglet a massage?
- Do you think animals can really talk like Mr. Fox and the piglet? Why or why not?
- Do you think the piglet knows he will not be eaten? Why or why not?
To extend the book experience, give the child a few magazines and a piece of paper. Have her make a collage using pictures from the magazines that depict what her own lucky day would consist of. It could be a dinner they enjoy like Mr. Fox or maybe a trip they would like to go on.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.