BOOK TITLE: Little Loon and Papa
AUTHOR: Toni Buzzeo
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Little Loon is taking diving lessons from his Papa but is not able to make himself go under water. He finally tries to swim away but gets lost and finds himself in a dilemma: he must go under water if he wants to find his Papa. His dive is successful, and he is reunited with his Papa. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Have you ever had to learn how to do something and been scared
- Have you ever lost something and then found it?
- How do you feel after being able to do something that you were scared to do at first?
- What was Little Loon learning to do?
- What happened when Little Loon tried to dive down into the water?
- Where did Little Loon find the first animal that he encountered?
- While Little Loon was on his search for his Papa, what was the first animal that he ran in to?
Activities to extend the book experience
- Before Little Loon would go under water, he would squeeze, tuck, and zip; so now it is your child’s turn to overcome an obstacle. Set up a pillow or something soft and have your child come up with three things to do before jumping over the object. Example: Say quack-quack, turn around, stand on one foot, then go for it. Do you think the things Little Loon did before diving under water helped him succeed?
- Create a Little Loon “Duck Dance” so that next time when you are scared and feel like you can’t do something, you can dance. This will help you remember the courage Little Loon had that helped him find his Papa.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage