BOOK TITLE: Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come!
AUTHOR: Nancy Carlson
SUMMARY OF BOOK:Henry wakes up excited for kindergarten and gets ready to go, with some reminders from his mom. They talk about what to expect, but when they get to school, Henry is nervous. After checking out the classroom, he decides to stay and have fun. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- “Looking at the cover, what do you think this story is about?”
- “What do you think happens in a kindergarten classroom? What do you find most exciting about kindergarten?”
- As you read about Henry getting ready, ask your child what she does to get ready for the day. What’s the same/different?
- What has Henry learned already to be ready for kindergarten? Help your child learn those things, too.
- Why did Henry want to go home? Why did he decide to stay?
- Will Henry like being a kindergartener? Why or why not?
Try this activity to extend the book experience:
- If you can, set up a time to visit a real kindergarten classroom, talking with your child beforehand about what he might see.
- Play kindergarten, with you as the student and your child as the teacher. Toys can be the classmates.
- Check out the following website from Scholastic about preparing for kindergarten: www2.scholastic.com/browse/collection.jsp?id=83
Compliments of Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: by students at The University of Alaska Anchorage.