BOOK TITLE: Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain
AUTHOR: Verna Aardema
ILLUSTRATOR: Beatriz Vidal
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Ki-pat, a young man in Africa, comes up with a creative solution to bring rain to the arid Kapiti Plain. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- What animals do you see on the cover? With those animals, where do you think this story might take place?
- Is the person on the cover a girl or boy? Why do you think so?
- Look through the book. Ask your child what the book may be about.
- As you come across certain words (drought, herdsmen, migrated), ask if your child knows what they mean before going on.
- Stop and ask what might happen next before turning the page.
- Ask: have you ever seen an eagle?
- What things does Ki-pat carry and use?
- Why do you think Ki-pat might stand on one foot like a stork?
Activities to extend the book experience
- Is there a place you can go to see some of these animals?
- Look through your books, magazines, or other places to see some of these animals.
- The website www.africam.com/wildlife/index.php has a live web camera in Africa. With time differences and web capabilities, it might be difficult to see any animals. There might be ads on the site that are not child-friendly.
- Read the last page of the book, About the Tale. You and your child might read The House That Jack Built.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage