BOOK TITLE: The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
RETOLD BY: Tomie dePaola
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Many years ago, when the people traveled the plains, a young Native American boy had a dream in which he was told he would create a painting that was as pure as a sunset. He tries and eventually succeeds in fulfilling the dream. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Looking at the cover of the book, what do you think the story might be about?
- Talk about “sunset” and point out the sunset to your child.
- Talk about the colors in the sunset.
- Ask your child if she has ever had a dream. What was it about?
- Paint a picture of a sunset.
- Watch the sunset.
- Tell about a dream you have had.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.