BOOK TITLE: Grandfather Buffalo
AUTHOR: Jim Arnosky
SUMMARY OF BOOK:This book is about a wise, old buffalo named Grandfather Buffalo who is lonely. One day he meets a female buffalo that is about to have a baby buffalo. Grandfather Buffalo stays with the soon-to-be mother and protects her along their journey. After the calf is born, they all look after each other like family, and Grandfather Buffalo is no longer lonely because he knows he has some-one to love. Download this activity sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Tell me what you know about buffalos.
- Where do you think buffalos might live?
- Take a “picture walk” through the book and talk about the illustrations before reading the book.
- What are the names of the other animals you see in the book? Have you ever seen any of these animals up close before? If so, where?
- Why do you think Grandfather Buffalo wants to be the young calf’s friend?
- Why is it important for the members of a buffalo herd to travel together instead of alone?
Try this activity to extend book experience:
- Encourage your child to talk about what he/she has done with a grandfather or older adult family member.
- Create a memory book of pictures or drawings of things they have done together.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.