BOOK TITLE: Take Care, Good Knight
AUTHOR: Shelley Moore Thomas
SUMMARY OF BOOK: In a far Kingdom, three little dragons who live in a cave, are asked to babysit several little kittens. But they cannot read the directions on how to take care of the kittens. The adventure begins when their friend, the Good Knight, comes to their rescue. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book:
- By looking at the cover, what do you think the book will be about?
- What do you think the expression on the cats’ faces is saying and why?
- Why do the green creatures on the cover have wings?
- Have you ever owned or played with a cat and what was your experience like?
- Who do you think the man in the window is and why might he be outside?
- Where do you think the wizard is going in the beginning of the story?
- Why do you think the knight takes care and always puts the little dragons to bed?
- What kind of activities did the dragons enjoy doing, before they had to babysit?
- Why do you think there is a problem when the little dragons cannot read the directions?
- What was the expression on the cats’ faces when they were taken to the lake to swim, and why do you think they reacted that way?
Try this activity to extend book experience:
- Draw a map or a list of things for children to do and give it to the children. They will have to figure out what to do by using the drawn clues just like the dragons.
- Build a fort with a bed sheet and write a letter or postcard to the dragons about “camping” with the “tent.”
- Create an alphabet book to send to the dragons by using magazines to cut out letters and pictures.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.