BOOK TITLE: Father and Son
AUTHOR: Denizé Lauture
ILLUSTRATOR: Jonathan Green
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Through vivid color oil paintings, the story of a father and his son spending time together comes alive. The setting is the home of the Gullah people in South Carolina’s low country. The father and son are inseparable throughout activities such as fishing, carrying firewood, worshiping, reading, and walking on the beach. Your child will enjoy seeing the different activities the father and son enjoy together. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Looking at the picture on the cover, what does your child think the story will be about?
- “Do you think this father and son are enjoying their time together? What makes you think that?”
- “Have you ever flown a kite?”
- As you read through the book, ask your child what each activity is.
- Talk about the clothing, the landscape, the images: are these like those at home? What’s the same, different?
- Read the tiny print at the very beginning of the book, the “Note about this book,” to describe the firewood scene.
- “How do the father and son feel while they’d doing these things together?”
Try these activities to extend the book experience.
- Encourage your child to think of fun activities to enjoy with his father. Think up some yourself.
- If you do activities that were portrayed in the book, refer back to the book. Make comparisons between what you’re doing and the book.
- Collect pictures that show what things fathers and sons can do together.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage