BOOK TITLE: Corduroy
AUTHOR: Don Freeman
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A little girl sees a teddy bear she wants to buy. Over night, the bear has adventures in the store. The next day, the girl returns to buy the bear with money she’s saved in her piggy bank. She brings him home. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- The title is Corduroy. Who do you think Corduroy is?
- What do you notice about the bear on the cover?
- Is the bear missing something? What do you think is going to happen?
- What kind of store do you think they are in? Have you been to a store like this?
- When you go to a store, do you want to get things? Do you always get what you want? How do you think the girl feels?
- How do you think it would feel to be in a new place and not know what anything is?
- Do you have a stuffed animal that is your friend?
Activity to extend book experience
- Have the child draw a picture of his friend and talk about his friend.
- Have the child come up with an adventure for their friend while looking for something that is lost. It can be inside, outside, anywhere.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage