Friends of Tuzzy Library
P.O. Box 2130
Barrow, AK 99723
Esther Wetzel, Chair
The North Slope Imagination Library’s goal is to provide a free book to every North Slope child under age 5 every month and to work with their parents and the community to improve the children’s readiness for school.
Since its establishment in January, 2010, the North Slope Imagination Library has enrolled 85% of the eligible children in the eight North Slope Borough communities – sending a free book each month to more than 600 children.
During the summers of 2012 and 2013, North Slope Imagination Library (NSIL) partnered with Samuel Simmonds Memorial Hospital’s Diabetes Prevention Program and Ilisagvik College to present a series of five circus-themed story circles in six of the North Slope’s seven outlying villages. These were held in connection with week-long circus camps sponsored by the Diabetes Prevention Program. Plans are now being made for a village circus tour in the summer of 2014, which will also include outreach by NSIL.
Our Partners: The books distributed by North Slope Imagination Library are funded by the North Slope Borough; the parent engagement program is funded by a grant from ConocoPhillips. Best Beginnings provides guidance and training to our volunteer team. The Imagination Library for Wainwright is funded and administered by Olgoonik Development LLC; preschool enrichment programs for Wainwright are organized by North Slope Imagination Library.
To enroll your child or enter a change of address: Register online here, or download the enrollment form and mail or fax it to Tuzzy Library at the address above. Address changes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed, phoned, or faxed to Tuzzy Library.
To volunteer to help make our dream a reality: Please contact Tuzzy Library at 907-852-4050 or email@example.com. We need help with enrollment and preschool reading events in every North Slope Village and help in Barrow with data entry and on the Steering Committee as well.
Upcoming Imagination Library events:
- Ongoing story circles at Tuzzy Library on Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m. and Saturdays at 11:30 a.m.
- Showing and discussions of Babies on Track DVD and board books with new mothers at hospital
- Placement of preschool books in hospital waiting rooms
- Periodic family potlucks with preschool themes
- Provision of a set of Imagination Library books and the monthly activity sheets to each elementary school on the North Slope
In the News:
- Early education the focus of North Slope’s first year in the Imagination Library — 5/17/2011
- Day of reading, singing at Barrow library will stimulate big and little minds –– 4/29/2011
- Bringing eagles, ducks and owls to children — 3/21/2011
- Traveling storyteller delights Barrow with animal tales — 3/3/2011
- Bonding through Books — 2/7/2011
- Fathers read to their children at Barrow library event — 1/28/2011
- Imagination Library adding seven North Slope villages –– 7/29/2010
Make a donation to North Slope Imagination Library
Your gift to our community Imagination Library will help build early language and literacy skills and inspire a love of reading that will last a lifetime! A $30 donation will enable a child to receive a brand-new, age-appropriate book in the mail once a month for one year. With $150, you will enhance the life five children for one year. Gifts of any amount are appreciated.
Please note: Best Beginnings uses Network for Good to provide secure, free and tax-deductible transactions for our donors.
You may also mail your donation: download printable form »
3350 Commercial Drive, Suite 104A
Anchorage, AK 99501