BOOK TITLE: The Wild Little Horse
AUTHOR: Rita Gray
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A wild little horse takes an adventure out on his own, leaving his home, his mama and his papa and sets out to run with the wind. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book:
- The title is The Wild Little Horse. Do you think that means the horse misbehaves? What do you think it means?
- Why do you think there is water in the picture at the bottom of the book?
- Do you think the horses are going to go swimming in that water? What makes you think that?
- There are 3 horses on the cover of the book. Do you think they are friends?
Ask these questions to promote discussion about what is happening:
- When horses neigh back and forth to each other, what do you think they are doing?
- Why do you think the little horse runs through the field right where the ducks are?
- Why do you think the little wild horse likes to go to the ocean?
- To extend book experience, let the child help to retell the story and act it out as he or she plays the part of the horse. See how much the child remembers and if he or she remembers the sequence of events in the story.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.