BOOK TITLE: Max’s First Word
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Max focuses on the word “bang” while his sister Ruby tries to introduce new words to her brother. Finally, Ruby is successful as Max learns more words. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Let your child handle the book. Let him/her turn the pages and explore the book. Point out the front, back, sides, spine, etc.
- Talk about the front of the book. Who is this book about? Does your child have other books about Max?
- Ask: “have you ever seen or made cookies in the shape of a figure?”
- Point out the pictures on each page and talk with your child about what you see. What are Max and Ruby doing?
- Re-read the book and substitute your child’s name for Max’s name on each page. You can also read it with other children’s names substituting for Max’s name, giving your child the opportunity to hear familiar names as part of the story.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
This activity created by students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.