BOOK TITLE: Llama, Llama Red Pajama
AUTHOR: Anna Dewdney
SUMMARY OF BOOK: It is time for baby llama to go to bed, but when his mama leaves him alone he wants her to come back. So baby llama calls for his mama and she does not come. Where has mama llama gone? Has she left baby llama alone?
Before, during and after reading, ask the following questions to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- By looking at the cover, what do you think this book is going to be about?
- There is a word in this book that you may not know. Tell me what it means to fret.
- Tell me what a llama is.
- Tell me about a time when you felt alone and scared.
- How do you think baby llama feels when mama is walking out of his room?
- What do you do when you have to wait for something?
- Do you think it was a good idea for baby llama to “holler” for his mama? Why or why not?
- What are some things baby llama does when his mama does not come?
- Why do you think mama is so mad at baby llama when she finally comes to his room?
- What do you think would have happened if mama llama had not run up to baby llama’s room?
- What are some of your favorite rhyming books?
- Tell me about what you do before you go to bed?
- Baby llama had a stuffed animal that he slept with, what do you sleep with?
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.