BOOK TITLE: Llama Llama Misses Mama
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Llama Llama starts school today, but discovers that he feels new and alone. He misses his mama. When reassured that she will come pick him up, he plays and has fun. When Mama comes back, he realizes he loves Mama … and school! Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Let your child touch, open, and page through the book. “What might this story be about?”
- “What does the picture on the cover of the book tell you?”
- “Have you ever seen these kinds of animals before? These kinds of toys?”
As you read the book, ask these questions
- “What is Llama Llama doing in the morning? Is he excited to wake up? Is he having a good morning with his mama?”
- Look at Llama Llama’s facial expressions; how does he feel? How do the other animals feel?
- “How do Llama Llama’s teacher and friends try to help him feel better?”
- “What happened when Llama Llama saw Mama when it was time to be picked up?”
Try this activty to extend the book experience:
- “Have you ever felt sad and missed Mama? What did you do?”
- Draw a picture of the favorite things you do with your mama.
- “If your friend was sad and missed his mama, what could you do to help?”
- Try doing some of the things the children are doing in the pictures.
- Try changing the llama and the other animals into Alaska animals and draw a picture of them at school.
Compliments of Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: by students at The University of Alaska Anchorage.