BOOK TITLE: Llama Llama Mad at Mama
SUMMARY OF BOOK: Llama Llama goes on a shopping trip with mama. He looks forward to a treat when they are all done, but Llama Llama becomes impatient and mad when shopping is no fun. He throws everything out of the cart in a fit, but eventually learns to work with mama to get the shopping done. Lovely rhyming verse. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Look at the cover and talk about what you see: “How do you think Llama Llama feels?” “Where is he?”
- Ask “Do you like to go shopping?” “What kinds of things do you like shopping for?”
- “When is shopping no fun?”
- Go through the book only looking at the pictures. What does your child think is going to happen in the story?
- Ask if shopping is like this for your children: standing in line, trying on clothes, getting tired, wanting a treat.
- Why would Llama Llama throw everything out of the cart? Was that a good choice?
- Point out how mama felt. Was she happy shopping?
- What could Llama Llama do differently? What would your child do?
Try this activity to extend the book experience:
- The next time you go shopping with your child, try to involve her: holding the list, crossing off items, using picture clues to help you find items, finding the right brand.
- Have your child draw his own picture of his favorite part of the story.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage