BOOK TITLE: Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
AUTHORS:David Soman and Jacky Davis
SUMMARY OF BOOK: At the playground, Lulu asks her friend Sam if he wants to play with her. But they just can’t agree! Then, As Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy, Lulu and Sam save the playground from hairy monsters and big mean robots and have their very own parade. They figure out that in working together, they can create fun games that they both like to play. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Looking at the picture on the cover, what does the child think the story will be about?
- Talk about what some of the child’s favorite games are.
- Ask who the child likes to play with and where their favorite place is.
- What games does he like to play with his friend? Do they always agree?
- Explain the meaning of words that might not be familiar to the child.
- Ask: What will happen next?
- How would the child solve the problem of two different games? What game would she come up with and why?
- Talk about the child’s favorite part and why.
- What would the child do differently?
- Practice role-playing on how to solve differences between friends.
- Have children come up with a new game together.
- Have children work together to make props for imagination games.
- Have children create new rules for an old game.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage