BOOK TITLE: The Gingerbread Man
AUTHORS:Ronne Randall and Emma Dodd
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A gingerbread cookie is on the loose! This classic story is told in a simple board book manner, with “touch and feel” features. When a gingerbread cookie gains a mind of his own, everyone is on the look out to find how to stop him. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Let your child hold the book and examine the cover through touch.
- Point out the gingerbread man on the cover and run her fingers over the figure while talking about the character.
- Ask: “have you ever seen or made cookies in the shape of a figure?”
- Have your child find all the gingerbread men on each page and identify the people chasing him.
- Point out the rhyme at the bottom of each page and chant it with your child, encouraging him to repeat it.
- Let your child touch and feel all the textures.
- Ask: “How do you think the gingerbread man tasted to the fox? Was the fox tricky”
- You might try making cookies in the shape of gingerbread men and read the story again.
- In a game of chase, you might take turns being the gingerbread man.
- Let the child have the book and explore the pages all by himself.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage