BOOK TITLE: Giggles with Daddy
AUTHOR: Emily Sollinger
SUMMARY OF BOOK: “There’s nothing better than laughing together — this book will have daddies and babies giggling the day away!” Each page features a different baby with their daddy as they share time together giggling and laughing. Oh, how fun! Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Take a picture walk through the book. Talk about the pictures of each baby and their daddy. Ask questions like “What are they doing together? Do they look happy or sad? Do you think that they might be laughing?” As you ask these questions, you will be answering your own questions for your baby. This is a great way to talk with your baby and allow them to hear the sounds of language.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Laugh and giggle with your baby. Ask the question “Can you giggle?” (Giggle for your baby after you ask the question.) Say “Can you hear mommy/daddy giggle?” (Again, giggle!) Encourage your child to ‘giggle’ with you.
- Continue to talk about each baby as you read each page, pointing out different things to your baby. “That baby is holding a ball. Ball!” You can talk about colors. “He’s wearing a pretty red jacket. See the red jacket? Red!”
- You might try making cookies in the shape of gingerbread men and read the story again.
- Act out ‘tickle time’ which will cause your baby to laugh/giggle.
- Continue to talk about giggles.
- Play ‘hugs with daddy’ or ‘hugs with mommy’ or ‘hugs with grandma’, etc.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: students at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and used by permission of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga.