BOOK TITLE: Taking Care of Mama
SUMMARY OF BOOK: A sweet rhyming story about a raccoon family taking care of Mama when she is sick for the day. Download this Activity Sheet in PDF
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book:
- Talk about the cover of the book and the title. Ask your child what he/she thinks the book is about.
- Now look at the back cover: “What do you think is happening?”
- Take a “picture walk” through the book and talk about the illustrations before reading the book.
- What does the raccoon family do to help take care of Mama? Look at everyone in the pictures; does everyone find a way to help?
- Help your child identify the rhyming words.
- After reading the book several times, see if your child can finish the rhyme on each page.
- “What things can you do to help care for your own family?”
- “How do you think the raccoon children feel after helping take care of their Mama? How do you feel when you have been helpful?”
- With your child, think of ways you can show a friend or neighbor that you care: bake cookies, draw a picture, shovel the snow, or anything else you can think of!
- Play a rhyming game with your child; try talking in rhyme.
Compliments of: Rasmuson Foundation
Created by: This activity created by students at The University of Alaska Anchorage.