BOOK TITLE: At This Very Moment
AUTHOR: Jim Arnosky
SUMMARY OF BOOK: This book is about moments in time — every day, routine moments that a child experiences simultaneously with animals around the world. This book helps children make connections to the natural world: imagine you are eating your dinner, what do you think a different animal is having for supper? Download this Activity Sheet in PDF.
Ask questions and use what the child already knows to add to the discussion, assisting the child in understanding and enjoying the book.
- Look at the cover and talk about what you see: “Which animals do we know about? Which have we seen?”
- What kinds of things do you do throughout the day that animals might also do?
- “What’s happening in this picture? Do you do some of the things the animal is doing?”
- “Have you ever seen this animal before? Where do you think he lives?”
- Talk about the weather, the season, the time of day the animal might be experiencing. “What do you do when it’s cold? hot? early? late?”
- Before you read on a page, ask your child to tell you what’s happening, what he sees in the picture.
- “What sounds would we hear on this page if we were there?”
- Walk through the book again and have your child retell it using the pictures and what he remembers.
- When you see one of the animals or your child is doing one of the activities, relate it back to the book: “You’re eating now; remember what the blue jay ate? or the puffins?”
- Try working with the idea of time: “Right now, what do you think an animal somewhere might be doing? What would Grandma or Auntie be doing right at this time?”
Compliments of: Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
Created by: Students at the University of Alaska Anchorage